The England squad enjoyed a proper Staffordshire send off after finishing their World Cup training at St George’s Park in Burton, with many more of England’s finest taking advantage of the word-class facilities on offer.
Roy Hodgson’s men took part in three high-intensity practices at the centre before playing a friendly against Peru in London, their final match before jetting out to Brazil for the competition.
Prime Minister David Cameron even paid a special visit to the park to wish the squad the best of luck before they embark on their 2014 World Cup campaign.
Set in the heart of the National Forest in 330 acres of landscaped parkland, St. George’s Park is the UK’s national football centre and training base for the 24 England teams as well as the home of FA Learning, the Football Association’s educational department.
As well as football, the park will host Team England for two weeks as part of their final preparations for this summer’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. Every one of England’s predicted 440-strong squad and 220 support staff will spend time at the centre. The team will collect their Team England kit and take advantage of the world-leading facilities available.
Fascinating Facts and Figures about St George’s Park in Burton upon Trent
- There have been a total of 87 stays by all our 24 England teams
- 70 plus domestic and international clubs – including West Ham, Chelsea and Newcastle. Monaco, Steau Bucharest, and Galatasaray have been here. Minnesota United have been from North America
- Hotel occupancy averages over 70% for calendar year to date
- Over 12,000 soccer coaches have used St. Georges Park Staffordshire already in its first year
- Over 250 grassroots clubs have been here since opening
- 70+ coaching courses have taken place at St. Georges Park Staffordshire
- 150 players as part of Professional Footballers Association relationship with Perform
- The FA Licensed Coaches’ Club is now the biggest football coaching membership scheme in the world, after it reached the landmark figure of 30,000 members last month