We asked local employers for their top interview tips and this is what they told us.
No surprises, but worth a recap because forgetting one of these could cost you the job.
1. Be on time, plan your route – even do a practice run – but don’t be late. It put’s employers off straight away.
2. Research the company before your interview, use the internet – company website, Linked in, social media, Google news etc. to find out as much as you can about them (and remember employers can do the same – make sure your Facebook and twitter pages reflect the side of you, you want an employer to see).
3. Switch off your mobile phone.
4. Dress for success. First impressions count, dress appropriately for the job and plan ahead what you’ll wear so that you’re not in a flap by the time you get to the interview. From fresh breath to clean fingernails – you will be under scrutiny. (But don’t overdo the aftershave or perfume.)
5. Practice common interview questions and if you really can’t answer a question, be honest – don’t make stuff up.
6. Study the job description and person specification if there is one. Write a list of your skills, knowledge and qualities which match the skills required.
7. Listen. Listening is just as important as answering – take your time and listen carefully so that you can give the best answer.